I have to say, cooking this dish got me so excited. The smell during the cooking process was amazing and I just knew this would be a great tasting recipe. This dish is red lentil dhal with some added ingredients that I believe sexes the dish up to a new level.
I always get so curious of the end result when I am in the process of preparing a dish I have never made (or made properly) before. Lately I have prepared quite a few recipes from regions that push me out of my comfort zone. Dare I say it, I think a lot of these dishes kick the butt of what we are used to in the Western world. Maybe this is because a lot of it is new to me, or maybe because my cooking abilities grow with every recipe that I make. Either way, I just want to expand more and more every time I cook.
This dish looks, smells and tastes amazing and I absolutely recommend it.
Photographer for this post: https://www.facebook.com/maayumivisuals/?fref=ts
I hope you enjoy this recipe if you choose to make it. I wish you all a lovely week. If you like this post want to stay updated, don’t forget to subscribe and/or follow my social media.
- 400g red lentils
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 green chilly chopped fine
- Ghee for frying
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed and chopped
- Salt for seasoning
- coriander for garnish
- ut your lentils, turmeric, green chilli and a generous pinch or salt in a pot. Next, fill up with water approximately 2-3cm about the surface of the lentils then bring to the boil.
- Once the lentils start boiling bring the heat down to a gently simmer. Simmer the lentils for about 45 minutes stirring occasionally and adding a splash more water if need be.
- Get a frying pan on medium heat and then add your ghee. Once you ghee is hot add you cumin seeds and mustard seeds then quickly cover the pan with something (suck as a lid or plate) for about 2 minutes. The reason for this is because the seeds pop while being fried.
- Next add your onion and garlic and fry off until the onions are wilted down and cooked. A dd the cayenne pepper and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture from the pan to the dhal, garnish with coriander and serve (this is excellent to serve with poppadoms).