So when I was trying to figure out which recipe to do next, I was struggling. Until I had a look through my categories, I realized that I had only uploaded one breakfast/brunch recipe. And as you know, we are talking about the most important meal of the day, well, at least breakfast is, not necessarily brunch but come on, we all love brunch. Anyway, French toast with scrambled eggs combined is an absolute winner. Also, I see a lot of other food bloggers combine classic dishes together to make one dish, and there seem to be many good responses to these kinds of recipes lately. So I got super stoked when I thought of this.
I personally am someone who eats quite a lot. And usually, if I don’t have at least a decent breakfast in the morning I can get a bit hangry (hungry and angry in case you didn’t know). So I am not sure if this will make me sound super greedy, but I could easily have this whole recipe to myself. However half of the recipe will also be enough for a good breakfast if you are cooking for 2 people, just to give you an idea on portion size.
Now you may have noticed that I am using the grainy bread instead of just white bread, why you ask? Well, when you think about what is in this dish, eggs, bread, grains in the bread etc. You get a great balance of protein, carbs and fibre, and then there is the herbs and chilli to give an aromatic dynamic.
So if you are someone who want’s to make a change just to have a good, hearty breakfast in the morning, I think you’ll quite enjoy this. Anyway folks I hope you all have a splendid week. If you like this recipe and you wish to stay updated on the latest posts. Feel more than free to subscribe and/or follow my social media.
Chou for now!
French Toast with Scrambled Eggs
We all love french toast, and we all love scrambled eggs. Why not bind them? 😉
- 2 slices of whole grain or mixed grain bread
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 chilli de-seeded and chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 4-5 chive sprigs chopped
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Olive oil
- Whisk the eggs, dried oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Pre-heat a preferably non-stick pan on medium heat with a glug of olive oil and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hot.
Then dip the 2 slices of bread in the egg mixture and let it soak for about 10-15 seconds (no longer)
- Add your egg soaked bread to the pan and sprinkle the chili in as well. Do NOT discard the egg mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until the outsides are nice and golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Turn the heat down low on the frying pan, add a bit more olive oil if need be and then add the rest of the egg from the bowl. Use a whisk to mix the egg around in the pan and scramble them. If you feel like the pan is getting to hot for the eggs take them off the heat for a short while and just keep whisking. When the eggs are just about to cook add your sour cream. Keep whisking until the egg it is cooked to your liking.
- Add the scrambled egg on top of your French toast.
- Finish by sprinkling with the chopped chives and then serve.
- Don't soak the egg for too long, otherwise the bread will go soggy and can break apart easily.