Strawberry, Vanilla and Vodka Ice-Cream
So, strawberry ice-cream, flavored with vanilla and vodka. The strawberry and vanilla make sense, we see that combination all the time. Why the vodka? Well, the ice-cream doesn’t end up tasting strong, or like vodka for that matter. After a bite of cold ice-cream, you get this really nice subtle heat in your throat as an after taste. Or after burn in this case. So that is the purpose of the vodka, this ice-cream is not supposed to get you drunk.
I have wanted to post a home-made ice-cream recipe for a while now, as I am sure that there are not many people who own ice-cream makers in their homes. However, many people do have food processors. I want to find out how a nice home-made ice-cream can be made without either, but I am working on that. The concept of making ice-cream with a food processor is very simple. You add your fruit, your sugar then you add your cream. All you have to do from there is blitz it up into a puree, freeze it then blitz it up a couple more times during the freezing process. Processing the mixture more than once allows the ice-cream to be nice and smooth.
A few important things to note:
- Although this recipe is super easy, the ice-cream will take at least 6 hours (preferably left overnight) to freeze because of the alcohol content. So keep that in mind before you decide to make this recipe. Make it in advance if you are preparing it for a particular date.
- The better quality of your strawberries, the better your ice-cream will end up tasting. So try to get good fresh strawberries in season if you can.
- If you are on a budget you don’t have to use vanilla pods as they are expensive. You can just add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. If you do it this way you won’t have to boil the cream either. Just make sure you stir the sugar through the cream until it dissolves (this tip will be a lot more understandable once you have read the recipe).
This strawberry ice-cream has a bit of a process to it, but it is totally worth it in the end. If you do like this recipe, feel free to subscribe, thank you so much for visiting and I wish you all a super awesome day (:
- 450g of strawberries, leaves pick off
- 75mls vodka
- 300 ml double cream
- 150g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Waffle cones
- Put your cream in a pot.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half length ways, then scrape the seeds out. Add those seeds (add the pod as well) and your sugar to the pot with the cream.
- Get the pot on the stove then scald the cream. Which means get the cream nice and hot, then as soon as it is about to come to a boil, turn the heat off.
- Transfer the cream to a bowl, then set aside for 10 minutes, allowing that vanilla to infuse in the cream. Cover the bowl with cling wrap, then keep in the fridge for at least half an hour to cool down.
- Once the cream has cooled down put it in your food processor, along with your strawberries and vodka. Process until you have a smooth puree. Store in a plastic container and make sure you cover it.
- Keep in the freezer overnight. Put the ice-cream back in the processor and blitz it up 2 more times in the middle of the freezing process. This helps to make the ice-cream smooth.
- If you want to make this for children, or just don't want to add the vodka that is fine, but I recommend taking away about 30g of strawberries from the recipe.